Plaque is the result of bacteria accumulating in a fine layer on or around our teeth. The bacteria are adept in the creation of harmful acids which seek to destroy the very pillars they cling to, our teeth. The acids break down our tooth enamel, which can cause holes in our teeth known as cavities. Only by continually washing and scrubbing away plaque are we able to effectively protect ourselves from cavities.
Protect your teeth. Keep your smile free of cavities with these helpful tips:
– Studies have shown that chewing sugarless gum for 20 minutes after a meal can facilitate the manufacturing of saliva, which can fight cavities.
– Visit your dentists at Family Dental Care during your scheduled inspections for oral examinations and professional cleanings.
– Avoid sugary snacks and drinks. Sugar can be converted into enamel-eating acids in your mouth that can eat away at your teeth.
– Eat nutritious foods and try to avoid snacking at irregular hours of the day.
– Use additional cleaning tactics, such as mouthwash, to wash away food particles and harmful bacteria.
– Brush your teeth twice daily with a fluoride toothpaste and a comfortable mouth-fitting toothbrush with soft bristles.
– Floss every day with dental floss or an appropriate dental flossing instrument.
– Improve your oral hygiene by practicing better brushing and flossing methods.
If you would like to schedule an oral exam or professional cleaning with Drs. Walden, Walden, and Walden, please call our office at 270.282.0909. You can also make an appointment by visiting our office in Bowling Green, Kentucky. Your smile deserves the finest of care, and we can gladly offer it.