Have you ever used chewing gum to keep your mouth clean? According to multiple studies that have been done, chewing sugarless gum for roughly 20 minutes after eating can help protect your tooth enamel. The reason is due to a rise in saliva production, which can wash away plaque buildup, neutralize harmful acids, and prevent cavities. Here are a few tips to remember about sugarless gum when including it to your oral health care routine:
– Never skip daily habits like brushing and flossing even if you are using supplemental cleaning methods such as chewing sugarless gum or using mouthwash.
– According to multiple studies, sugarless gum can help fight heartburn and its associated acidic stomach acids.
– Sugarless gum or even mouthwash should be used after meals instead of brushing your teeth because your teeth are delicate at this time and can be damaged by abrasive forms of toothpaste.
– Sugarless gum helps brush away chewy or sticky buildup that has been left behind on your teeth and gums after meals.
– Sugarless gum should be avoided if you suffer any jaw pain or if you have a known TMJ disorder.
Whichever services you feel would best suit your needs, Dr. Gary K. Walden and our team here at Family Dental Care in our dental office in Bowling Green, Kentucky are committed to providing you the oral health care you require. We can be reached at 270.282.0909. Our experienced team is here for your smile!